- Cell biology
- 2008 University of Virginia (Ph.D., Cell biology)
2003 Gwangju institute of science and technology (M.S., Life science)
2001 Seoul National University (B.S., Food science and technology)
- 2012-present Gwanju institute of science and techonology, Assistant professor
2008-2012 University of Virginia, Research associate
2003-2004 Gwangju institute of science and technology, Researcher
- Jill E. Hungerford prize in biomedical sciences, University of Virginia, 2008
The glorious person of GIST, Gwangju institute of science and technology, 2008
Biomedical sciences outstanding graduate student award, University Virginia, 2008
Excellence in scholarship in the sciences and engineering award, University of Virginia, 2007
Honor graduate, Seoul national university, 2001
- Three major fields of research
- How phagocytes recognize apoptotic cells
- How phagocytes internalize apoptotic cells
- How phagocytes digest engulfed apoptotic cells
- 1. Continued clearance of apoptotic cells critically depends on the phagocyte Ucp2 protein. Park D, Han CZ, Elliott MR, Kinchen JM, Trampont PC, Das S, Collins S, Lysiak JJ, Hoehn KL, Ravichandran KS. Nature. 477 (7363):220-224. 2011 Aug 21.
2. Unexpected requirement for ELMO1 in clearance of apoptotic germ cells in vivo. Elliott MR, Zheng S, Park D, Woodson RI, Reardon MA, Juncadella IJ, Kinchen JM, Zhang J, Lysiak JJ, Ravichandran KS. Nature. 467 (7313):333-337. 2010 Sep16.
3. Nucleotides released by apoptotic cells act as a find-me signal to promote phagocytic clearance. Elliott MR, Chekeni FB, Trampont PC, Lazarowski ER, Kadl A, Walk SF, Park D, Woodson RI, Ostankovich M, Sharma P, Lysiak JJ, Harden TK, Leitinger N, Ravichandran KS. Nature. 461 (7261):282-286. 2009 Sep 10.
4. The phosphatidylserine receptor TIM-4 does not mediate direct signaling. Park D*, Hochreiter-Hufford A*, Ravichandran KS. CurrBiol. 19 (4):346-351. 2009 Feb 24.
5. BAI1 is an engulfment receptor for apoptotic cells upstream of the ELMO/Dock180/Rac module. Park D, Tosello-Trampont AC, Elliott MR, Lu M, Haney LB, Ma Z, Klibanov AL, Mandell JW, Ravichandran KS. Nature. 450 (7168):430-434. 2007 Nov 15.
- We are mainly interested in signaling pathways during clearance of apoptotic cells by phagocytes and the consequences of clearance of apoptotic cells.